MSTerminalServices.org Forums

Forums Home | FAQ | Search | Profile | Private Messages | Log in/Register/Password

What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine

Page 1 of 1
Next:  Windows 2000 TermServ Apps: Autorecover  
Author Message
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 1) Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:26 pm
Post subject: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>win2000>termserv>apps (more info?)

Hi!
I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
Eric

External


Since: Oct 11, 2004
Posts: 18



(Msg. 2) Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:24 pm
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it because you are
exposing your machine to anyone on the internet with a network scanner and a
RDP client.

Have fun!!!
--
Eric


"David Langschied" wrote:

> Hi!
> I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
> Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 3) Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:29 pm
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I know this may seem like a silly question, but is there no way to make such
a connection secure? Saying Microsoft should be able to secure its own
features would, however, be even sillier.

"Eric" wrote:

> All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it because you are
> exposing your machine to anyone on the internet with a network scanner and a
> RDP client.
>
> Have fun!!!
> --
> Eric
>
>
> "David Langschied" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
> > Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
Vera Noest [MVP]

External


Since: Sep 07, 2003
Posts: 9443



(Msg. 4) Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:52 am
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

As far as I know, there has not yet been any actual exploit of the
Terminal Services Service.

Of course, you need to implement strong passwords, a password lock-
out policy and enable auditing of security events. But that is (or
should be) standard procedures.
_________________________________________________________
Vera Noest
MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGFuZ3NjaGllZA==?="
<DavidLangschied.RemoveThis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 11 aug 2005
in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps:

> I know this may seem like a silly question, but is there no way
> to make such a connection secure? Saying Microsoft should be
> able to secure its own features would, however, be even sillier.
>
> "Eric" wrote:
>
>> All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it
>> because you are exposing your machine to anyone on the internet
>> with a network scanner and a RDP client.
>>
>> Have fun!!!
>> --
>> Eric
>>
>>
>> "David Langschied" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi!
>> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable
>> > RDP to my Win XP Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any
>> > other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 5) Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:42 am
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Okay ...
I have openned the port 3389 on the router. I have checked the Remote
Desktop box on the Win XP Pro machine. I have rebooted. I am now sitting
outside the router and am trying to access the machine via RDP. I get the
standard "The client could not connect to remote computer" error. I am
making my connection using the static ip address given to me by the ISP for
the router. I know this is correct because I can VPN to the machine using
this IP address (I can see the folders but am unable to access their content
- another issue I am struggling with). Any ideas where I am still making a
mistake?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> As far as I know, there has not yet been any actual exploit of the
> Terminal Services Service.
>
> Of course, you need to implement strong passwords, a password lock-
> out policy and enable auditing of security events. But that is (or
> should be) standard procedures.
> _________________________________________________________
> Vera Noest
> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGFuZ3NjaGllZA==?="
> <DavidLangschied.RemoveThis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 11 aug 2005
> in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps:
>
> > I know this may seem like a silly question, but is there no way
> > to make such a connection secure? Saying Microsoft should be
> > able to secure its own features would, however, be even sillier.
> >
> > "Eric" wrote:
> >
> >> All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it
> >> because you are exposing your machine to anyone on the internet
> >> with a network scanner and a RDP client.
> >>
> >> Have fun!!!
> >> --
> >> Eric
> >>
> >>
> >> "David Langschied" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hi!
> >> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable
> >> > RDP to my Win XP Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any
> >> > other ports I need to open?
>
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
Eric

External


Since: Oct 11, 2004
Posts: 18



(Msg. 6) Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:21 pm
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Ok let's step back here for a minute. You say you have VPN enable and
working. What I would do is enable your VPN, make sure you can ping the
remote machine. Use RDP client to connect to that machine.

If you have VPN setup you do not need to open port 3389 on your firewall
because you already connected to your remote network.

As far as why you can't connect to your computer here are a couple things
you can take a peak at.
1. Make sure the PC is turned on
2. Make sure the PC's ip didn't change
3. Make sure that you used port forwarding and pointed
it to right IP
BTW Terminal Services is not, in my opinion, a way to remotly login to a
different network. It's more for doing maintnance within your own network.

Have fun!!!
--
Eric


"David Langschied" wrote:

> Okay ...
> I have openned the port 3389 on the router. I have checked the Remote
> Desktop box on the Win XP Pro machine. I have rebooted. I am now sitting
> outside the router and am trying to access the machine via RDP. I get the
> standard "The client could not connect to remote computer" error. I am
> making my connection using the static ip address given to me by the ISP for
> the router. I know this is correct because I can VPN to the machine using
> this IP address (I can see the folders but am unable to access their content
> - another issue I am struggling with). Any ideas where I am still making a
> mistake?
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, there has not yet been any actual exploit of the
> > Terminal Services Service.
> >
> > Of course, you need to implement strong passwords, a password lock-
> > out policy and enable auditing of security events. But that is (or
> > should be) standard procedures.
> > _________________________________________________________
> > Vera Noest
> > MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> > ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
> >
> > "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGFuZ3NjaGllZA==?="
> > <DavidLangschied.TakeThisOut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 11 aug 2005
> > in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps:
> >
> > > I know this may seem like a silly question, but is there no way
> > > to make such a connection secure? Saying Microsoft should be
> > > able to secure its own features would, however, be even sillier.
> > >
> > > "Eric" wrote:
> > >
> > >> All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it
> > >> because you are exposing your machine to anyone on the internet
> > >> with a network scanner and a RDP client.
> > >>
> > >> Have fun!!!
> > >> --
> > >> Eric
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> "David Langschied" wrote:
> > >>
> > >> > Hi!
> > >> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable
> > >> > RDP to my Win XP Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any
> > >> > other ports I need to open?
> >
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 7) Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I tried this first, but it also had not worked. I can VPN in ... I can ping
the Win XP Pro machine that I am connected. When I then try to connect via
RDP, using that IP address, I get the same error.


"Eric" wrote:

> Ok let's step back here for a minute. You say you have VPN enable and
> working. What I would do is enable your VPN, make sure you can ping the
> remote machine. Use RDP client to connect to that machine.
>
> If you have VPN setup you do not need to open port 3389 on your firewall
> because you already connected to your remote network.
>
> As far as why you can't connect to your computer here are a couple things
> you can take a peak at.
> 1. Make sure the PC is turned on
> 2. Make sure the PC's ip didn't change
> 3. Make sure that you used port forwarding and pointed
> it to right IP
> BTW Terminal Services is not, in my opinion, a way to remotly login to a
> different network. It's more for doing maintnance within your own network.
>
> Have fun!!!
> --
> Eric
>
>
> "David Langschied" wrote:
>
> > Okay ...
> > I have openned the port 3389 on the router. I have checked the Remote
> > Desktop box on the Win XP Pro machine. I have rebooted. I am now sitting
> > outside the router and am trying to access the machine via RDP. I get the
> > standard "The client could not connect to remote computer" error. I am
> > making my connection using the static ip address given to me by the ISP for
> > the router. I know this is correct because I can VPN to the machine using
> > this IP address (I can see the folders but am unable to access their content
> > - another issue I am struggling with). Any ideas where I am still making a
> > mistake?
> >
> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I know, there has not yet been any actual exploit of the
> > > Terminal Services Service.
> > >
> > > Of course, you need to implement strong passwords, a password lock-
> > > out policy and enable auditing of security events. But that is (or
> > > should be) standard procedures.
> > > _________________________________________________________
> > > Vera Noest
> > > MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > > TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> > > ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
> > >
> > > "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGFuZ3NjaGllZA==?="
> > > <DavidLangschied DeleteThis @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 11 aug 2005
> > > in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps:
> > >
> > > > I know this may seem like a silly question, but is there no way
> > > > to make such a connection secure? Saying Microsoft should be
> > > > able to secure its own features would, however, be even sillier.
> > > >
> > > > "Eric" wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> All you need to open is 3389. I wouldn't suggest to do it
> > > >> because you are exposing your machine to anyone on the internet
> > > >> with a network scanner and a RDP client.
> > > >>
> > > >> Have fun!!!
> > > >> --
> > > >> Eric
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> "David Langschied" wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >> > Hi!
> > > >> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable
> > > >> > RDP to my Win XP Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any
> > > >> > other ports I need to open?
> > >
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
Eric

External


Since: Oct 11, 2004
Posts: 18



(Msg. 8) Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:23 am
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Do you have a firewall on your machine? Like Zonealarm, Blackice, Norton,
McAffe, PC-cillin or even the Microsoft Firewall?
--
Eric


"David Langschied" wrote:

> Hi!
> I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
> Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 9) Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:29 am
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Yes, the Windows Firewall is on. I will check to see if Remote Desktop is
enabled. I would have thought that this would have been checked when I
checked the Remote Desktop box in the System window.


"Eric" wrote:

> Do you have a firewall on your machine? Like Zonealarm, Blackice, Norton,
> McAffe, PC-cillin or even the Microsoft Firewall?
> --
> Eric
>
>
> "David Langschied" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
> > Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
David Langschied

External


Since: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 17



(Msg. 10) Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:40 pm
Post subject: RE: What ports do I open to RPD to my Win XP Pro machine [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I have checked and the RDP connection is allowed on the windows firewall. I
am at a loss here. I can VPN in, I can see the shared folders on the
machine, I cannot open the folders (path not found), I cannot RDP to the
machine. Any ideas?

"Eric" wrote:

> Do you have a firewall on your machine? Like Zonealarm, Blackice, Norton,
> McAffe, PC-cillin or even the Microsoft Firewall?
> --
> Eric
>
>
> "David Langschied" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I would like to open a port on my router firewall to enable RDP to my Win XP
> > Pro machine. Is it 3899? Are there any other ports I need to open?
Back to top
Send e-mail Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
    All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada) (change) Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Looking for more Terminal Services info?

Sign up to the MSTerminalServices.org Monthly Newsletter, written by Terminal Server MVP & Citrix CTP Stefan Vermeulen, containing news, tips, interviews, links of the month and much more. Subscribe today and don't miss a thing!

Become an MSTerminalServices.org member!

Discuss your Terminal Services & Citrix issues with thousands of other SBC experts. Click here to join!

Community Area

Log in | Register