MSTerminalServices.org Forums

Forums Home | FAQ | Search | Profile | Private Messages | Log in/Register/Password

An error occured while an initial user program was starting

Page 1 of 1
Next:  Microsoft Terminal Services: Secondary Licensing Server??  
Dai

(Msg. 1) Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:58 am
Post subject: An error occured while an initial user program was starting

Hello.

I have added a Windows 2003 Terminal Services server to our domain (it's just a member server, not a DC) and am trying to allow some users to access applications remotely.

When the users log in they get the following error:

You are connected to the remote computer. However, an error occured while an initial user program was starting, so you are being logged off

Does anybody know how to resolve this? I've spent hours using Google to find solutions and scanned through forums such as this to no avail.

I've looked at all areas I can find where applications are specified to run but can't find what it causing it. If I add the users to the Administrators group on the TS box they can log in, so I assume it may be permissions somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Dai
Send e-mail Login to vote
Dai

(Msg. 2) Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 am
Post subject:

I managed to solve this myself by giving access to C:\Windows\explorer.exe for the group of users that need TS access.
Dle

(Msg. 3) Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm
Post subject:

Finally I found out the problem. Go to registry and check on permission in this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, right click, then permission, add system and everyone, give full control. Reboot server
Before modify registry make sure you back up all keys
    All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada) (change) Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Looking for more Terminal Services info?

Sign up to the MSTerminalServices.org Monthly Newsletter, written by Terminal Server MVP & Citrix CTP Stefan Vermeulen, containing news, tips, interviews, links of the month and much more. Subscribe today and don't miss a thing!

Become an MSTerminalServices.org member!

Discuss your Terminal Services & Citrix issues with thousands of other SBC experts. Click here to join!

Community Area